The word MEXT is abbreviated from Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Science, Sports, and Technology. This word represents the Japanese government scholarship initiated by the government of Japan and education ministry for the students all over the world to support them in their academic careers to study in Japan.
Table of Contents
- Title: Japanese government scholarship
- Host university: University of Tokyo
- Department: Graduate School of Science
- Degree levels: Master’s and PhD
- Financial coverage: Fully funded
- Mode of application: Online
- Eligibility: All the international candidates
- Deadline: 29 October 2021.
Eligibility Criteria for Japanese Government Scholarship MEXT
- All the international candidates living in any country or state of the world are eligible.
- To apply for Japanese Government Master’s scholarship, the candidate must hold bachelors or undergraduate degree (or equivalent) in relevant field of study.
- To apply for Japanese Government PhD scholarship, the interested candidate must hold an undergraduate and Master’s transcripts or degrees (18 years education or equivalent) in relevant discipline.
- The interested candidate must have secured at least 2.3 out of 3.0 grade scale in latest or highest education.
- The candidate must be under 35 years of age.
- The interested candidate must be with good mental and physical health condition.
- The applicant must hold an English proficiency test score equivalent to B2 or above on the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference) for languages scale such as IELTS 5.5 or above, or TOEFL iBT 72 or above.
- The interested applicants must have passed JLPT (the Japanese Language Proficiency Test) with N2 or higher score.
- He or she must have completed any of the academic program with Japanese language as the language of instruction.
- This will satisfy requirements of entrance for Master’s or PhD degree programs at the Graduate School of Science at the University of Tokyo.
Fields of study
- Biological Sciences
- Planetary and Earth Science
- Application forms
- Academic documents such as transcripts, degrees etc.
- Letter of acceptance
- Abstract of the latest degree project or research
- Language Proficiency proof
- Letter of recommendation from head of the department
- Others (if any)
What you get
- The awarded candidate for Master’s degree program will get monthly stipend of 144,000 JPY.
- The enrolled candidate for PhD scholarship will be awarded a monthly stipend of 145,000 JPY.
- The students who are undertaking research or study in any of the designated regions of Japan may get additional 2,000 to 3,000 JPY monthly.
- Free travel throughout the the country (Japan).